We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who can contribute to our product. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and get lots of ownership. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self-driven.
We have high standards and hire exceptional people who will push themselves every day. That means that we hire based on the person first, not their experience. So we encourage any candidate that meets 70% of the qualifications to still apply!
❤️ Why Avala?
At Avala, we're solving the world's most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world.
- Be transparent in everything we do
- Be a Jedi: quality and equality
- Results above all else
- Keep your foot on the gas
- Seek constant improvement
- Improve lives and livelihoods
Our culture is fast-paced, energetic and innovative. At the end of the day, our collective goal is to ensure that we are working towards a future in which everyone can thrive.
🚀 You'll enjoy this role if you can
- Be actively curious. This company has more complex dimensions than most and you’ll have to learn them to be effective. That motivates you more than it intimidates you.
- Be extremely resourceful. There is no playbook for what we’re doing and it excites you that you’ll have to find solutions across a broad array of problems.
- Thrive in a constantly changing environment. You don’t subscribe to sunk cost fallacy and you understand that because the organization is rapidly learning that means it will also be rapidly changing.
- Be truth-seeking. We don’t do hierarchy for hierarchy’s sake. We only care about the right outcome. If an intern has the best idea you will take it and implement it. If you are wrong in an assumption you will be upfront about it, own it and correct it instead of defending it or hiding it. This is how we get to the most transparent and robust information system.
- Believe in meritocracy with humility. When you’re the right person to solve a problem you will jump in and do it without being asked. Likewise, if someone else is the right person to tackle something you’re not concerned about defending territory. We’re all on the same team trying to achieve the same mission.
- At least 5 years experience developing web applications and backend services in a professional setting.
- You should have played a lead role in building, shipping and maintaining enterprise software.
- Strong experience with backend technologies (Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, PostgreSQL, Pytest).
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the web works.
- Familiar with modern engineering practices: code reviews, continuous-deployment, automated testing.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
- Proven track record of exceptional ability (i.e. have personally solved difficult problems that have moved the needle on meaningful projects)
- Demonstrated desire (and ability) to win (e.g. competitive degree, track record of winning academic or athletic competitions)
- Combination of high intellectual aptitude and emotional awareness
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
⚡️ Nice To Have
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with scientific computing libraries such as NumPy, Pandas, or Scikit-learn is a plus.
- Experience with big data systems such as Spark, Hadoop/MapReduce is a plus.
- Experience with ElasticSearch or other scalable search systems is a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing such as AWS EC2/S3/RDS is a plus.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning, computer vision, or neural networks is a plus, but not required.
- You can flex between front-end and back-end.
- You've worked at a startup before.
🎉 Perks and Benefits
- Salary 💸 We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses. And we offer raises at will: we believe that a raise doesn’t need to be tied to an annual review
- Stock Options 📈 We believe that all employees deserve to own a part of Avala. Everyone should be rewarded for a successful company outcome.
- Mission-Driven Company 🚀 We believe that you shouldn’t just work for the sake of making money. Our mission is central to everything we do: it is a higher purpose that gives meaning and motivation to every workday.
- Remote Friendly 🌎 We’re committed to a physical work environment for our core team in the San Francisco Bay Area. But being born in 2020, with a remote culture from day 1, we anticipate having up to 50% of our team working remotely.
- Flex Hours 💪 As long as you’re available to collaborate with the team during our core work hours, you can flex your schedule however you’d like. You do you.
- Unlimited Time Off ⏰ Work-life balance is important. We want you to take trips to refresh your brain and inspire you to do your best work (plus we want you to have fun!).
- Technology 🖥. We hook you up with a laptop and tech that lets you do your best work.
- Leveling Up Opportunities 🌱 Our goal is to nurture internal talent to become organizational leaders as we scale.
- Insurance 🏥. We offer medical, dental, and vision insurance to all full-time US-based team members.
- Flexible Parental Leave 🍼 We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. Parents on the team have the flexibility to work from home or take days off when family needs to come first.
💙 Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace
Avala pledges to be a harassment- and discrimination-free space for everyone, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, nationality, neurotype, personal appearance, political affiliation, professional background, race, religion, or sexual identity or orientation.