We are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer who can be a force multiplier to make the entire Avala engineering team more productive. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and get lots of ownership. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self-driven.
We have high standards and hire exceptional people who will push themselves every day. That means that we hire based on the person first, not their experience. So we encourage any candidate that meets 70% of the qualifications to still apply!
❤️ Why Avala?
At Avala, we're solving the world's most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world.
- Be transparent in everything we do
- Be a Jedi: quality and equality
- Results above all else
- Keep your foot on the gas
- Seek constant improvement
- Improve lives and livelihoods
Our culture is fast-paced, energetic and innovative. At the end of the day, our collective goal is to ensure that we are working towards a future in which everyone can thrive.
🚀 You'll enjoy this role if you can
- Build and maintain software services, scripts, tools, and plugins to support Avala engineering workflows.
- Improve our continuous integration pipeline to make it easier for engineers to receive actionable feedback on their code.
- Improve our code build time and usability of the build system.
- Continually engage with the team and proactively come up with ways to make their lives easier.
- Administer build agents and other servers.
- Shape our practice as one of our early hires, bring your technical leadership, experience, and knowledge of best practices to establish a strong engineering culture.
- Strong software engineering foundations and a desire to apply those skills toward making other engineers more productive.
- Python experience.
- Kubernetes experience.
- Experience with one or more build systems (e.g. Bazel, Make, Gradle, Maven, SCons) and the ability to discuss their pros and cons.
- Strong, defensible opinions on what constitutes a great developer experience.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
⚡️ Nice To Have
- Dart, Go, Kotlin, Java.
- Configuration management software (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Chef).
- Plugin/extension development for Atlassian products or CI systems.
- You've worked at a startup before.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
🎉 Perks and Benefits
- Salary 💸 We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses. And we offer raises at will: we believe that a raise doesn’t need to be tied to an annual review
- Stock Options 📈 We believe that all employees deserve to own a part of Avala. Everyone should be rewarded for a successful company outcome.
- Mission-Driven Company 🚀 We believe that you shouldn’t just work for the sake of making money. Our mission is central to everything we do: it is a higher purpose that gives meaning and motivation to every workday.
- Remote Friendly 🌎 We’re committed to a physical work environment for our core team in the San Francisco Bay Area. But being born in 2020, with a remote culture from day 1, we anticipate having up to 50% of our team working remotely.
- Flex Hours 💪 As long as you’re available to collaborate with the team during our core work hours, you can flex your schedule however you’d like. You do you.
- Unlimited Time Off ⏰ Work-life balance is important. We want you to take trips to refresh your brain and inspire you to do your best work (plus we want you to have fun!).
- Technology 🖥. We hook you up with a laptop and tech that lets you do your best work.
- Leveling Up Opportunities 🌱 Our goal is to nurture internal talent to become organizational leaders as we scale.
- Insurance 🏥. We offer medical, dental, and vision insurance to all full-time US-based team members.
- Flexible Parental Leave 🍼 We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. Parents on the team have the flexibility to work from home or take days off when family needs to come first.
💙 Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace
Avala pledges to be a harassment- and discrimination-free space for everyone, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, nationality, neurotype, personal appearance, political affiliation, professional background, race, religion, or sexual identity or orientation.